Thursday 6 March 2014

Workshop Diary - Design

3rd March 2014

This week we started by looking at different types of sleeves and drawing them out onto our own rough designs. The sleeves that I have drawn are the puffed sleeve, batwing sleeve, gathered head sleeve, flared sleeve, bishop sleeve and finally the  normal sleeve. These designs are shown below.

 
 
 
After this we went onto looking at how to make some of the different sleeves. Shown below are the patterns for how to make the flared sleeve, puffed sleeve and gathered head sleeve.
 
 
 
Finally we chose which sleeve we wanted to try out in a toile and drew the pattern for this sleeve out. I chose the gathered head sleeve. Using our blocks we also drew out the pattern for the front and back of a bodice. The patterns are shown below.
 
 
 
 
Next week I will use these patterns to cut out the fabric and make my bodice and sleeve.
 
10th March 2014

This week I used the patterns that I had cut out the week before and drew around them onto calico and cut the calico out. I then used ease to create a gather in the sleeve so that it would fit in the arm hole. Next I sewed all the pieces together and ended up with the half bodice shown below with a gathered head sleeve.

I also did the same as above but using a normal sleeve pattern and ended up with the half bodice shown below.

The above will be useful techniques throughout my career as the different types of sleeves will be used in all the garments that I create.









No comments:

Post a Comment