Sunday 3 November 2013

Circus Cabaret Research - Design



I chose this image as I like the way that the ringmaster looks evil.



This image shows the happier side of the circus.


This image shows the traditional ringmaster outfit.



This image shows the traditional, happy clown.
 

I like this image as it shows that not all clowns are joyful and happy, some are actually sad.



This image shows that clowns can be scary.



An evil clown mask.



This image shows the older generation of clown outfits.

None of this clown research is useful to my design as I have a female model and I am basing my design on the burlesque side of the circus. For example pants and a shirt will not be suitable for a female model so none of my designs will be based on these pictures.



This image shows that there is a magical side to the circus.


Another magician.



This gives an idea of the makeup that could be used on my model.


Another makeup idea.

I do not believe that any of the research on magicians will be useful to my designs as it is all simple and gives me little inspiration for my design as I want it to be big, eye catching and extravagant.




More makeup.


An idea for clown makeup.



Scary clown makeup.



Sad clown makeup.

None of these makeup ideas come in handy for my design as it is not based on clowns so my model will not be wearing clown makeup.




Pierrot clown, the traditional sad clown.



Pierrot clown costume.



Another costume.

The Pierrot clown is useful to my design as I like the large, puffy, over the top sleeves and the ruffled collar. I also like the pointed hat because it is different to the traditional top hat. I may use the idea of ruffles and gathering in my design.




A darker take on a ringmaster outfit.



The type of hat usually worn by a ringmaster.

This research could be useful to my design as I like the idea of a smaller version of a ringmaster hat with a netting veil placed on huge, over-exaggerated hair. A top hat being on a female model can also bring an element of masculinity to the feminine design.



Another ringmaster outfit.


I chose this image as I like the mix of red and gold with the black.

 

Another makeup idea.

 This piece of research may be useful to my design as I like the extravagant eyelashes and the bright, pouted lipstick. I also find the gathered collar extremely interesting to look at because of the bright pink colour on the deep burgundy background.



Some bright clown outfits.

This piece of research is not useful at all as the colours are too bright and mismatched. It will not help with my ideas for my design as I want to stick to a colour scheme with dark colours such as black, grey and burgundy.

Not much of this research will fit in with my Gothic Burlesque theme and I will probably never use it. The colours are to bright, the shapes of the clothing too baggy and the make up is too clown-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment